1. Saute the onions in the oil until they are translucent.
2. Add the remaining vegetables and saute for anther 2-3 minutes. Add the poultry seasoning and about a teaspoon of salt to the vegetables.
3. Add the chicken stock and bring the soup to a boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for half an hour.
4. Add the chicken to the soup and stir well. Let the soup continue to simmer for ten minutes.
5. Add the dumplings from the following recipe and cook accordingly.
(adapted from “Mom’s Simple Dumplings“)
1 1/2 C flour
2 t baking powder
3/4 t salt
3 T shortening
3/4 C milk
1. Whisk together the dry ingredients and cut in the shortening
2. Slowly add the milk into the mixture. Be sure not to overmix the dough.
3. Drop lumps of dough into boiling soup or stew. The dumplings should remain on top of the soup. Cook covered for ten minutes.