What started as simple home fries and fried eggs, soon took us on a potato adventure like no other. We began by following this family recipe, seemingly simple, easy, and fool proof.
4 medium potatoes
1 medium onion
1 T olive oil
1. Wash the potatoes, dry them, and then cut the potatoes into 1/4 inch cubes.
2. Put potatoes into a 3 qt. saucepan, and add enough water to cover them.
3. Allow the water to boil, and cook the potatoes until firm.
4. While the potatoes are boiling, wash, dry, and cut the onion into a 1/4 inch dice and add into a medium sized frying pan after adding the olive oil in to the pan. Turn on stove to low heat.
5. Once the potatoes are firm, drain them from the saucepan using a colander, and then add them into the frying pan with the onions and olive oil
6. Turn the burner to medium heat and cook until browned and crispy
After cutting onions and potatoes into the appropriate size, we boiled the potatoes and
our problems began. We let the potatoes boil too long and get soft rather than keeping them firm.
After transferring the potatoes and onions into the frying pan, and adding oil, we could tell something was wrong. Instead of browning, the potatoes turned to mush. We now had a pan full of mashed potatoes. This happened because we allowed the potatoes to boil too long and become soft, and when added to the fry pan, they just completely fell apart and became a mash.
In our attempts to save breakfast, we formed the mess of potatoes into round pancakes and fried them in more olive oil. In the end, the potatoes tasted great. Complimented with the fried eggs, breakfast was salvaged and we had the confidence to cook another day.
To replicate our surprise variation, scoop potatoes into separate balls and create small pancakes similar to latkes.
Along with our potatoes, we made fried eggs by following these simple steps.
- Add olive oil, butter, or any other non-stick substance into a medium frying pan.
- Gently crack your egg into the pan from about 4 inches above the surface of the pan.
- Allow the egg to cook until the egg white is opaque white.
- Gently flip the egg and cook for roughly the same amount of time.